At first, I was a bit underwhelmed, its just a big iPod touch right? Why pay $499 (at least) for features that are in the smaller, lighter cousins.
Then I stopped looking at it as a iPod, and more like an electronic flight bag.
What features does it have that make it excellent for an EFB?
- Long battery life (10 hours...although realistically probably five)
- Huge high resolution, back-lit screen (perfect for maps, IFR approach plates, etc)
- Loads of quality aviation software (you have to pay per app, but you get to customize the device with only the software you want / need to use)
- Doubles as an in-flight, or after flight entertainment device for yourself or your pax.
- Its price range already qualifies it for aviation ;)